Screen Daily on Half-Blood Prince: Technical Wizard of a Film

HBP Film
July 06, 2009, 08:24 AM

Two more reviews of the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to tell you about this morning, these from Screen Daily and The Hollywood Reporter. While THR is more like a summary of the plot with scant few remarks on the actual film, their bottom line reads "a jerky start of exposition and backstory gives way to vigorous storytelling in the latest chapter." More notable is the review from Screen Daily, which says the film belongs to Harry and Dumbledore, but laments the amount given to the adults ('David Thewlis as Remus Lupin and Timothy Spall’s Wormtail, for example – barely register'), but notes: "Most impressive of the team is a hissing Helena Bonham Carter returning as the evil Bellatrix. With screentime scarce for supporting actors, she certainly makes the most of what she is given. And Alan Rickman reliably hits the right notes as the sinister Severus Snape." The piece then points out:

"Stunningly shot by Bruno Delbonnel in metallic hues leavened by buttery tones – his unique vision even brings a fresh perspective to the inevitable Quidditch scenes - this Harry is certainly a technical wizard of a film. While Prince never quite builds up to bone fide set pieces, sequences such as Dumbledore’s Moses moment parting the waves, or Bellatrix laying waste to Hogwarts’ famed dining halls, are individual classics. The thumping beats of Nicholas Hooper’s score bear little resemblance to the original and the overall effect is much less twee, much more grown-up."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Me_thumb

I can’t wait to see this movie – I’ve already bought my tickets!

Posted by Doris on July 06, 2009, 12:36 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

sooo excited! It’s almost here!!!

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on July 06, 2009, 12:38 PM report to moderator

Shame so many great actors only get a few minutes of screen time. Since they are on set and all made-up, they should get them to act a load of scenes straight from the book and put them as extras on the DVD. Why not?!

Posted by hereward on July 06, 2009, 12:56 PM report to moderator
Img_4641_thumb

Very nice idea, hereward! But I think that the actors would them demand more money and the DVD would cost way to much!
I hope that one day the entire series will be adapted to the srceen again, but this time for TV. That way they could include every single scene and we fans would be really happy!

Posted by Frits on July 06, 2009, 01:40 PM report to moderator
26097981_thumb

I’ve always thought the same hereward!

Posted by jenge {Meredith Mooncloud} ~ [ITC!] on July 06, 2009, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

The dance moves from the extras scenes were certainly worth watching. I liked Hereward’s idea. I hope we do get to see some of the deleted scenes. I know that they meed to tighten up a movie and delete some scenes, but it is fun to see the expanded scenes such as the Yule Ball, from the last movie, with the guy playing the bagpipes in the Weird Sisters band!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on July 06, 2009, 02:06 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

From what I have seen in the trailers and the footage that has been released so far, I am absolutely convinced that this film is going to tower over the rest in terms of cinema from a technical standpoint. Both the score that Nicholas Hooper conceived and the cinematography that Bruno Delbonnel used have never ceased to astound me.

Posted by Kirk on July 06, 2009, 02:07 PM report to moderator
Young_riddle2_thumb

cant wait to see bellatrix <3 i love helena bonham carter =D

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on July 06, 2009, 02:21 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I dont care what there reviews say i still cant wait to see it. Id still want to see it if they said it was the worst movie of all time. I know itll be awesome.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 06, 2009, 02:37 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

you know, if reviewers who couldn’t care less about hp like the film this much, it stands a good chance to become my favorite (sorry PoA, I’ll always love you!). only EIGHT days.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on July 06, 2009, 02:43 PM report to moderator

Do we really need good reviews to make us want to see this film! No!!! I don’t care if they say it’s the worse thing they’ve ever seen…I’ll still be there on July 15!

Posted by danaskeeter *ROAR!* on July 06, 2009, 02:53 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I just really hope it was worth the wait…

Posted by Won_Two on July 06, 2009, 03:43 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb
Holding the exitement is getting too hard for me…..
Posted by forgetmenot_007 on July 06, 2009, 03:56 PM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

This is soo teasing , aaahhh!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on July 06, 2009, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Why isn’t July 15 here yet? WHYYY!

Posted by Christine on July 06, 2009, 05:15 PM report to moderator

"Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers...," [Hermione] sobbed.[br]"Oh -- well -- he was old," said Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him. "And he was a bit useless."