Nicholas Hooper on Scoring Half-Blood Prince

HBP Film
July 24, 2009, 08:39 AM

Composer Nicholas Hooper has given another interview, this time to IFMagazine, where he speaks again about scoring the film Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Mr. Hooper speaks on bringing in some of the cues from his music for Order of the Phoenix as well as working with the now iconic "Hedwig's Theme"  for HBP. Quotage:

Although a lot of things seem logical after the event, I tend to write instinctively, allowing things to develop in their own way. It would be easy to say that I meant to use such and such a theme in a "brilliant stroke of genius.” But in fact a lot of what works comes out of trying things out first, and then discussing them later. A bit like throwing paint at the wall one day and coming in to have a look at it the next to see what shape it makes. The use of the Possession theme from HP V (where Voldemort possesses Harry) came back as an idea when Voldemort is first mentioned by the name of Tom Riddle in Dumbledore's speech at the start of the new term. It seemed to work there and gradually worked its way into the movie following Dumbledore's own involvement with Voldemort. This along with a new theme created the DNA for the whole score. Placing John Williams' themes became obvious as we went along. The beginning of the film has to have at least a hint of Hedwig's Theme (look out for the end of it in the brass just before the Death Eaters attack London). Later in the film, Hedwig's theme gave a sense of being back in a POTTER movie, so it was used on the train to Hogwarts and Harry's arrival at the Weasley's home. I also enjoyed using a bit of William's Quidditch theme in the Quidditch match to point up Ron's amazing goal saving.

Readers will recall of course, as first noted here on July 14, then several days later, Mr. Hooper will not be returning to provide the score for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as legendary John Williams is indeed in talks to return to the series and create the music for the final Harry Potter films. Nicholas Hooper says again:

"I have made the decision not to do the next two HARRY POTTER films. I’ll be handing the baton on to another composer. It has been a roller coaster ride, and, I feel, an enormous privilege to have the opportunity to have scored such great films and such a fantastic story."

Thanks so much Alex, and to IFMagazine!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Harry_and_ginny_thumb

He did a good job! I guess it will be good if John Williams comes back!

Posted by AbiDumbledore on July 24, 2009, 08:43 AM report to moderator

Looking forward to seeing John Williams return. I was disapponted with the HBP score actually.

Posted by Mr. Tom *ROAR* on July 24, 2009, 08:58 AM report to moderator

He did a really good job, esspecially for the sixth film. I’m actually kind of sad to see him go. John Williams is great, but a bit of a cliché by now. On the other hand, PoA had a great unique score, so let’s hope Williams will be just as inspired if he scores the last two movies.

Posted by Redbeard on July 24, 2009, 09:01 AM report to moderator
250px-youre-a-wizard

I wish WB don’t make another decision that makes the HP fans dissapointed, John Williams return is the only best for the last 2 HP films, Appointing another composer besides JW is really a bad idea, Otherwise they will make musical scores for DH that makes us all amaze like what JW did on the 1st three HP films…

Posted by EnricoDc on July 24, 2009, 09:08 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

He did an amazing job with OOTP and HBP! Those are the only two soundtracks that I own. I have HBP on repeat right now.

But I hope people know that just because Hooper isn’t returning…that doesn’t mean we will get John Williams. He might be too busy and we could end up with some entirely new.

Posted by cghambright on July 24, 2009, 09:09 AM report to moderator

Actually I didn’t really enjoy the OoTP score, but I think Hooper did a much better job in HBP – maybe he had a better knowledge and more experience….?

I thought JWilliams was returning? Guess not then…haha and yeah I have HBP on repeat too. I’ve had it on repeat since Saturday when I watched the film. I listen to the more sadder ones when I go to bed :) too bad they don’t make harry potter dreams pop up! haha

Posted by Teatopatronusesla on July 24, 2009, 09:33 AM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

Awesome!! I really, really like Hooper’s scores for OotP and HBP. But I’m excited for a new composer too…fingers crossed for John Williams!! :D

Posted by RavenclawDancer on July 24, 2009, 09:35 AM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

I liked Hooper’s score, and have listened to it on my i-pod while driving to see the HBP. Williams score for POA was definitely a better listen over-all though.

Posted by budgie on July 24, 2009, 09:35 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I thought the score of HBP was so good. My favorites though are PoA and GoF.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 24, 2009, 09:41 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

it was a bit too similar to ootp at times, but i really liked the creepy chanting choir sets a lot more for this movie :]

Bookworm_thumb

I loved the scores for both OotP and HBP, but I’m hoping John Williams will return for DH to bring things full circle.

Posted by Bookworm Jen on July 24, 2009, 10:06 AM report to moderator

HBP is my favorite score but Williams is my favorite composer and i hope he comes back… he can do some great things with the last two

Posted by no1hpfan on July 24, 2009, 10:24 AM report to moderator
Jordan_thumb

After HBP, I’m actually sad to see Hooper go. This score is a great improvement from OotP and is, overall, more enjoyable to listen to (for me, at least). That being said, I’m still really pulling for John Williams to return for the Sevens.

Posted by Jordan Edwards on July 24, 2009, 10:37 AM report to moderator
Jordan_thumb

Posted by Jordan Edwards on July 24, 2009, 10:37 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

i really liked the score :). shame he isnt cuming back tho.
xx

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Hermione was the last person to do anything against the rules, and here she was, pretending she had, to get them out of trouble. It was as if Snape had started handing out sweets.