Fan Report: Deathly Hallows PaperBack Release Party at Scholastic Store

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
July 21, 2009, 02:15 PM

Two years ago today, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling was released. As readers will recall, several weeks ago in the midst of the flurry of the HBP movie release, Scholastic, US publishers of the Harry Potter novels, released the paperback edition of Deathly Hallows.  Given the date today, we thought you might enjoy this fan report and photos below from TLC reader hpboy13 who went to the special paperback release party held at the main Scholastic Store in Soho, NYC on July 7th. Thanks so much hp!

The party started at 10a.m. when the store opened.  The entire place was decked out in posters  and other HP decor, including an entire display on HP.  In the entrance hall there was a breathtaking display of all seven HP books, all of them signed by JKR herself according to the inscription.

When I walked in, there were countless DH paperbacks on display, so I quickly grabbed one and bought it at long last, receiving with it a poster (the one Scholastic put on their site a short while back, of all the covers mixed together "the most magical adventure of our time.")  There was a huge stand that had all the books and DVDs on it, as well as all kinds of HP merchandise (including all four houses, Hogwarts castle). Needless to say, my wallet became rather empty very quickly after I saw it.

There was a huge printout of the DH cover with a hole in Harry's face for people to take their picture in, which I happily did.  I then participated in the first of the hourly trivias, winning an HP bag (I cobbled together an image of it from all sides.)  I then went up to the crafts station, where me made "potions" (similar to the flubber children make, but we called it swelling solution) and "wands" (a plastic tube filled with "magic crystals," glitter, and "dragon tears") I participated in several more of the trivia contests to get the runner-up prize (although I won) of a left-over pin from the Sorcerer's Stone anniversary.  The workers soon realized that I was an uber-fan, and requested my help in coming up with more trivia questions, which I gladly obliged.

I also entered a raffle for a trunk with all the hardcover books and a piece of artwork by Mary GrandPre.  I'm fairly sure I haven't seen this artwork before, it depicts Sirius and the Trio in the Shrieking Shack.  I didn't win though :( I was around the party so long, and so dressed up for the occasion, people began thinking I worked there.  Some time after 5p.m. several members of The Group That Shall Not Be Named arrived, providing Scholastic with much more business for the merch.  We finished off the party at 6p.m. by fawning over the display of signed books

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows News

Capture10_thumb

sounds like it was fun. id rather have the hardbacks so I didnt go to the paperback release.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 21, 2009, 02:28 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

that sounds aboutly amazing!!

Posted by The Nerd on July 21, 2009, 02:33 PM report to moderator
Potterpuffsi010-vi_thumb

wow, that sounds like it would have been sooo much fun!! :)

Posted by siriuslysirius11 {*SQUEE*} on July 21, 2009, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

I like hardback and paperback. The paperbacks are easier to tote around.

Posted by budgie on July 21, 2009, 02:56 PM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

sounds a lot of fun:D
though,i can’t believe it it’s been 2 years since DH came out,it feels like yestearday :(

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on July 21, 2009, 03:08 PM report to moderator

I can still read that book over and over and never get tired of it.

Posted by MattOM93 on July 21, 2009, 03:19 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Wow. I would live there if I could. It sounds like so much fun. I wish I went =( I want the paperback set so badly! Ughh. I think I’m going to spend all my money on that soon. I have the 1-6 set … but I really really want the 1-7!

Posted by Christine on July 21, 2009, 03:20 PM report to moderator

Sounds like it was fun! I do like hardbacks better, but for traveling, paperbacks are easier to carry.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on July 21, 2009, 03:25 PM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Thank you so much hpboy13! I really enjoyed the photographs of the HP stuff which decorated the store. Although I live in the UK I own four hardback copies of the Scholastic editions, SS and DH in the standard edition and SS and CoS in the special leatherbound editions. This is, of course in addition to the full set of Bloomsbury editions in hardback.

Posted by Graymayne on July 21, 2009, 03:28 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I prefer to do my “looking up”, and rereads with a paperback… I don’t want to put any more wear & tear on my Hardcovers…

Posted by Won_Two on July 21, 2009, 03:29 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

Sounds like a lot of fun! I myself am not getting the paperback, as it’s so much easier for me to read a hardback copy. I usually read in bed, so it’s easier to prop up on my knees :P

I was really reminiscing last night….it was about 1:06 am, and I realized, “At this time two years ago I had been reading DH for almost exactly one hour,” and I felt like I’d been punched in the stomach. Two years!

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 21, 2009, 03:36 PM report to moderator
Danielemmarupert_thumb

wow incredible. looking forward to a kick booty dvd release for HBP but i doubt that will be for like another year seeing as it was such a great movie.

Posted by mynameisbrock on July 21, 2009, 03:49 PM report to moderator

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was so good

Posted by George21 on July 21, 2009, 03:54 PM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

Cool, I wish I could have been there.

Posted by minishiva on July 21, 2009, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

That sounded like so much fun! :D
I cannot believe it has been two years today that Deathly Hallows has been released. It seems like such a long time ago but such a short time ago.
WOW!
And there are still so many unanswered questions! :D

[i]"Prefect...[/i] ickle Ronnie the prefect..."[br]"Oh, Mum's going to be revolting," groaned George, thrusting the prefect badge back at Ron as though it might contaminate him.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014