Helen McCrory Talks Filming on Spinner's End for Half-Blood Prince

HBP Film
July 11, 2009, 10:17 AM

Actress Helen McCrory has given a new interview where she discusses filming her role as Narcissa Malfoy in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Noting her appearance in the film is short, she also jokes about the fleeting appearance made by actor Timothy Spall as Wormtail in the Unbreakable vow scene at Spinner's End. Quotage:

"She appears in the two final films of the series, but warns: "Don't reach down for your popcorn, because by the time you do, I could be off the screen, in Half-Blood Prince I am literally like, whoa, there she goes! But everyone was like that. In our first scene, Helena Bonham Carter and I are rolling past this blue screen, and we knock on the door and Tim Spall comes out.

"Tim pulls open the door and looks. That took about a day and a half of filming, and then it was, 'Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen, that's a wrap on Mr Spall,' and you go, that's it? You have people like Tim, that most producers are killing themselves to work with, and that's the fun of doing (Harry Potter]. Everyone is giving their all and they're all used to playing the lead parts. They're going, 'How shall I open the door? Do you want me to do it like this, or like this?' That sort of attention to detail, because, you know, they probably last did Hamlet. So David is surrounded by actors going, 'Right, I can give you this, or I can give you that, or I can give you . . .' and he's like, 'Please, please, just say your one line and f*** off.'" She laughs heartily. "He's extraordinary, because it's a huge project: the pressure!"

As the mother of two young children – with her husband, actor Damian Lewis, she has a daughter Manon, two, and a son, Gulliver, one – I wonder if she approached Narcissa in the spirit of Cruella de Ville, or that of a ferocious mum defending her cub?

"In this film it's about protecting her son. The fact that you have children probably makes a bit of a difference, but not enormously, because you do spend a lot of time as an actor trying to imagine what the other person's feeling, anyway. As a woman you've played mothers before, and you don't have to be a mother to understand what feeling protective is all about."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Upclose_of_me_thumb

Pretty goos interview! This wasn’t how I imagined Narcissa at all in the books…. but we’ll see if she can play the role right.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 11, 2009, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

Awesome interview!! And it’s so true. There are LEGENDs in these films and it’s really amazing that they’re willing to come in and play such a small role. It’s really brilliant. But all of them get their chance to do more in other films. Narcissa is big in Deathly Hallows and Wormtail has his moment too. I can’t wait!!! :D

Posted by cghambright on July 11, 2009, 05:30 PM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

I love her now! She’s really got a grip on Narcissa’s Character!

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on July 11, 2009, 06:52 PM report to moderator
Me_with_curly_hair_thumb

Call me crazy, but I pictured Narcissa to look more like Luna.

Posted by Umbridgeintraining_^HISS^_[FTC!] on July 11, 2009, 07:12 PM report to moderator
Pansy_thumb

I like her she seems funny and cool. Too bad about her hair tho, its hideousness is distracting.

Posted by pansy parkinson on July 11, 2009, 08:07 PM report to moderator
Burtondeppavvie_thumb

I love the idea of all these incredibly successful and talented actors trying to perfect their ten seconds of action xD It’s probably good for them anyway hah.

Posted by Linnyish on July 11, 2009, 09:52 PM report to moderator
4pchrmb_thumb

She looks like the McGonagall actress.

Posted by lupinwandcaster on July 11, 2009, 11:57 PM report to moderator
Ginny_thumb

She’s hilarious!

Posted by Colleen_Ginevera on July 12, 2009, 12:08 AM report to moderator
Weasleys-da_thumb

A very refreshing response to the question posed. Her candor is welcome and I think she will be the perfect Narcissa

Posted by fngw417 on July 12, 2009, 12:16 AM report to moderator
Kit_thumb

She will do doubt do a fine job portraying Narcissa, but the hair looks stupid. What the heck are they thinking? Do they think we’re to dumb to recognize her as Bellatrix’s sister without some dark hair? Looks like a pile of poo on top of her head. :D

Posted by Fereverto on July 12, 2009, 07:51 AM report to moderator
100_0003_thumb

She looks as perfectly as malfoy’s mom

Posted by Biswajit-ROAR on July 12, 2009, 01:38 PM report to moderator
Ww_purple_thumb

She’s not how I pictured Narcissa either. What happened to the long blond hair- what’s with upside-down skunk do? Although she does make me think of the description in GOF – it says sometihng like she would have been nice-looking except for lookingas though she had a perpetual bad smell under her nose! :P

Posted by Pax on July 12, 2009, 06:35 PM report to moderator
Ww_purple_thumb

Posted by Pax on July 12, 2009, 06:36 PM report to moderator
Ww_purple_thumb

Sorry for double-posting above. Could someone delete this & one of the extras, please. “Kill the Spare!” Thanks! :)

Posted by Pax on July 12, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator
4pchrmb_thumb

I agree with the people talking about the hair, I did expect blonde hair.

Posted by lupinwandcaster on July 13, 2009, 12:00 AM report to moderator

"Harry, just go down to the lake tomorrow, right, stick your head in, yell at the merpeople to give back whatever they've nicked, and see if they chuck it out. Best you can do, mate."