MSN Asks "Has Harry Potter Lost the Magic?"

Movies
June 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

The MSN Mom & Pop Culture Blog for Family Entertainment has an opinion piece today based on the question " 'Has Harry Potter Lost His Magic?.' " The article starts by mentioning the huge interest and media attention paid to the Twilight series, then discusses the delay of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, wondering if this would cause waning in the love of the series and films. The author notes that while some had been planning a boycott when the movie opens next month, the magic remains strong and firm for many of us, and mentions our own recent LeakyCon convention held last month in Boston. Quotage:

But on the other hand, there is reality. Harry Potter still has passionate fans. The Web site, TheLeakyCauldron.org reports more than 75,000 members in its online discussion community. These fans not only have no plans to boycott Warner Bros. for delaying the movie, some of them also traveled to Boston a couple of months ago for "LeakyCon," a convention that raised money for charities and featured the musical stylings of an astonishing number of Harry Potter tribute bands.
...
The event, put on by TheLeakyCauldron.org, wasn't just about bands, though. Two major names in young adult literature, Cheryl Klein and John Green, gave a keynote speech on the writing process. Klein was on the U.S. editing team for Harry Potter, and Green is author of "Looking for Alaska" and "An Abundance of Katherines" and "Paper Towns."

The author then goes on to note a feeling that is shared by so many of us:

As impressive as this is, conventions aren't proof that the boy wizard retains his magic. That lies in the stories themselves, where the magic remains in abundance...I picked up "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" again to get myself ready for the movie, and loved it more this time than I did the first. Once you know how the series ends, you can see the incredibly way Rowling structured the story, weaving little bits into the tapestry that would have great meaning later. All the while, she stayed true to her central theme: that a mother's love is the most powerful magic of all. And she keeps things refreshingly complex. Many secondary characters are a mix of good and evil -- sort of like how people are in the real world.

These books are good enough that they should be considered classics. The movies, for the most part, have been good, too. This is why I'll be at the theater the day "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" opens. For me, at least, the magic is as strong as ever.

Hear Hear! Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince opens July 15th.
Thanks Jenny and Samantha!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

no no no noooooooo, it will never lose its magic NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if the magic was gone would we all be counting down until the movie or dieing for a new book? no

nooooo it has not LOST ITS MAGIC!NOO NOO NOO

WE ARE LOYAL

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on June 24, 2009, 06:19 PM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

you really cant compare twilight and harry potter….they are both great series but they are nothing alike….why cant people like both of them???? but i think hp has more passsionate fans that twilight does

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on June 24, 2009, 06:35 PM report to moderator

What on earth is Twilight?

Posted by sachem on June 24, 2009, 08:14 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

This article was ridiculous. Newspapers so often look for the negative.

Posted by Garden State Geek on June 24, 2009, 11:14 PM report to moderator

I have read both the Potter series and the Twilight series and personally I can’t see what the comparison is. Harry Potter is an epic tale of growing up and finding who one is. It has strong character development and fantastic imagination. Harry Potter will be forever along side such greats as Frodo Baggins and Aslan.

After reading Twilight I came to the conclusion that it really didn’t live up to the hype. ( I only saw the movie because of the Rob’s connection with the Potter series.) The story line was weak, there was hardly any imagination, and Bella’s damsel-in-distress routine was more than annoying. (Hermione, Ginny, and Luna could all kick her a** with hands behind their backs and without wands!)

I have long since been bewildered at the link of these two series and can’t wait for history will show whose books are still on the shelf and which series has been sold at garage sales.

P.S. (My daughter wanted me to say “Twilight Sucks”. )

Posted by Erin Lovegood on June 25, 2009, 12:44 AM report to moderator
Normal_fredjorgeweasley_scarpotter_thumb

They are actually compairing HP with Twilight????????
OMG WHAT HAS THE WORLD TURNED INTO??????????
HARRY POTTER 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Slytherin Princess ^hiss^ on June 25, 2009, 03:54 AM report to moderator
Dontez_b_thumb

I DEFENTLY DONT THINK IT HAS LOST ITS MAGIC I KNOW HARRY POTTER IS JUST A BOOK BUT TO SOME OF US IT MEANS MORE THAN THAT. FOR SOME OF US WE TAKE GREAT PRIDE IN THE BOOKS AND FEEL LIKE WE ARE REALLY APART OF IT. HARRY POTTER FOR ME HAS DONE WONDERS. IT HAS CHANGED ME A LOT. I NEVER WAS THE TYPE TO READ BOOKS I WAS ALWAYS IN TROUBLE IN SCHOOL AND IN OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL. MY TEACHER STARTED READING IT FOR US ONE DAY IN IVE CHANGED EVER SINCE THEN. IDK HOW LOL BUT IT HAS. I LOVE HARRY POTTER IS ALL IM SAYING. IVE READ THE BOOKS IDK HOW MANY TIMES AND FOR A 19 YEAR OLD YOUNG BLACK MALE THATS SAYING ALOT BECAUSE NOT TO MANY BLACK PPL I KNW WOULD EVEN LOOK AT A HARRY POTTER BOOK. THEY DO WONDERS FOR US HP FANS

Posted by Fresh Prince on June 25, 2009, 04:51 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Magic lives!!!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on June 25, 2009, 12:04 PM report to moderator

rubish.. who wrote that artical any way reeter skeeter

Posted by #1pottyfan:ROAR! on June 25, 2009, 12:32 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Woo-hoo … can I get a Heck Yeah? Jo is awesome. Harry Potter is Desirable #1 !!!

Ronhermione_thumb

who ever wrote this is an imbecile. if this person had half a brain then they would know that Harry Potter is bigger than ever!!!!!!!!! HP fans are amazing and i luv u!!!!!!!!!

Ravenclaw_thumb

Has MSN lost its ability to write logical stories? This entire article made no sense…it’s making conclusions with no logical facts to back it up. Basically it said that the American consumer will only pay to attend one blockbuster film a year? And that Twilight and Harry Potter cannot exist in the same universe? Not only is it ridiculous, it’s pandering.

I’d like the five minutes of my life I spent reading this article back now please, thanks MSN!

Posted by jords on June 25, 2009, 07:49 PM report to moderator

It most certainly has not lost the magic, I have been in love with potter for 6 yrs, and its a love that has only grown over time!

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on June 25, 2009, 10:51 PM report to moderator
Shoe_thumb

It most definitely has not!

Posted by eagleblue on June 26, 2009, 06:12 AM report to moderator
Perry-the-platypus-perry-the-platypus-4267460-120-115-1_thumb

Harry Potter won’t die, silly doubters. <_< Nice shout-out, by the way, haha! :D

"Up to the castle?" said Snape silkily. "I don't think we need to go that far. All I have to do is call the dementors once we get out of the Willow. They'll be very pleased to see you, Black... pleased enough to give you a little kiss, I daresay..."