Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Patrick

my immedate thought was, you have got to be kidding me. but now that im thinking about, she never really was that great of an actress, at least in a harry potter way. i will not miss her from deathly hallows. i think the Deathly Hallows movie will be good for it. but if they replace her, i will not be happy at all. it is quite easy to write her out of deathly hallows. so if they replace her for mere comedic affect, i will be very disappointed. all i can say is, THANK GOD she stayed for Half Blood Prince.

Posted by Patrick on November 11, 2008, 04:20 PM report to moderator
Bandersnatch

She is in the book HBP (she tells Harry about the whooping she heard in the Room of Requirement and that Snape was the spy who heard Prophecy #1). She’s in the movie HBP too, right? I always assumed that she was.

Her statements about the Potter films are really quite correct — for the adult actors that have such tiny roles, they really are just “turns.” So it’s completely understandable to me that she wouldn’t want to spend time doing yet another cameo when she has projects of her own in which she is much more creatively involved.

Posted by Bandersnatch on November 11, 2008, 04:22 PM report to moderator
lunuluu

Awwwww! She made a great Trelawney! But she isn’t really in DH except for when she is throwing crystal balls out the window at in the last battle, right?

Posted by lunuluu on November 11, 2008, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Razmo

Face it, folks, she’s a two-time Academy Award winning actress/writer, who’s not in this business to make us HP fans happy. She’s a creative artist in her own right and should follow her own star. Perhaps if there had been more Trelawney in OOTP, perhaps she’d feel differently. When David Yates and Michael Goldenberg cut the whole (very important, as I saw it) sub-plot about Trelawney having the prophecy and Snapes overhearing it — well, perhaps Thompson just felt somewhat left out and letdown, who knows? And in a way, who could blame her.

Posted by Razmo on November 11, 2008, 04:30 PM report to moderator
switchkostERice

woahhh. Emma Thompson is my favorite british actress. there’s now way they can replace her for this. now i’m hoping to not see Trelawney in the remaining films. I don’t want another Dumbledore affect.

Posted by switchkostERice on November 11, 2008, 04:31 PM report to moderator
Wand-erer

Boo! I love her in just about everything she does and it was great she was in one of my favorite movies series (HP)…but I’ll probably still watch her as McPhee again. I suppose the movie won’t suffer intensely.

Posted by Wand-erer on November 11, 2008, 04:32 PM report to moderator
Marianne

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises…”
Congratulations Emma Thompson! You really hit the nail on the head! Very brave indeed.
Thank you very much. Finally an actor who is courages enough to say what she thinks.

Posted by Marianne on November 11, 2008, 04:33 PM report to moderator
Christie

Sadness :(:( I wanted to see her throwing crystal balls at deatheaters :(

Posted by Christie on November 11, 2008, 04:35 PM report to moderator
givemesomeTLC

i’m a little thrown off by the general comments; personally I respect her decision…
If she wants to make her own films, GO EMMA! She has a life and a motivation, too. But I really was looking forward to the crystal tennis balls! I wonder if they’ll come up with something creative in place? like all of a sudden Professor Flitwick does Kung-Fu. Alright, that’s a little dumb, but they have lots of elbow room ;)

Posted by givemesomeTLC on November 11, 2008, 04:37 PM report to moderator
Tim

Nanny McPhee – really? wow… In other news Daniel Craig is stepping down from being Bond so he can be the star of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 2 and Mike Myers isn’t going to be Shrek in Shrek 4 so he can work on Wayne’s World X: Old and Still Rocking.

All that is sarcasm by the way. I’d prefer if they just don’t show her at all – I hate them changing characters. I’m still annoyed with Dumbledore…

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 04:37 PM report to moderator
matea

It is sad…really sad…I want the same actors. its stupid to change them. but maybe there will be no Trelawney in DH…

Posted by matea on November 11, 2008, 04:38 PM report to moderator
Aurora Duv

Dissapointed both in that she didn’t enjoy the part or want to finish it off and that the comedy of Trelawney won’t be in there. i had kind of saw the battle scene as a reunion of everyone from Hogwarts joining together to fight and to prove to Harry that he was never really alone even tho he tried to be. DH can survive whith out her small scene tho as long as McConagel doesn’t bail out!

Posted by Aurora Duv on November 11, 2008, 04:38 PM report to moderator
Ame

Hmm. That’s an interesting way of looking at it. I’m not necessarily angry, but I think that sort of says something about the way the films are being pumped out, and the way WB is portraying this story.

I wonder if Miss Thompson ever read the books? Or knows any of the history behind them? Hopefully, this is only a statement about the franchise, because to me, the original story is as artistic and homemade as anything.

Posted by Ame on November 11, 2008, 04:40 PM report to moderator
jenn.

aw, found that a rather harsh way of putting it.. im thinking she could of put in nicer but im not saying she shouldn’t do DH or anything like that. good luck to her with nanny mcphee! she was a great trelawney, was hoping to see her in DH but oh well. so does this mean prof. trelawney wont be in DH, they wont recast the part will they? i’d hate to see anyone else do the part now..

Posted by jenn. on November 11, 2008, 04:40 PM report to moderator
Andrea

As an actor, I understand her desire to be creatively fulfilled with something that speaks to her. However, this was an awfully harsh and bitter way to speak out against not doing any more installments of HP. I respect her, but wow…

Posted by Andrea on November 11, 2008, 04:45 PM report to moderator

[Hermione] sounded scared, much more scared than she had in the room where the brains swam, yet Harry thought the archway had a kind of beauty about it, old though it was. The gently rippling veil intrigued him; he felt a very strong inclination to climb